4/29/15

Pimento Ponderings

I'm not from the South. We know this. Far from it!

{Literally.}

BUT! I can pretend sometimes. Ohhhh goodness gracious, does my heart truly appreciate all of the charm and whimsy of that neck 'o the woods. As much as I embrace my beloved East Coast roots, I swear I lived deep in the heart of somewhere HOT many lives ago. I am going to stereotype heavily today, and I don't give a darn, because it is with all due respect...and blessed hearts...and magnolia flowers...and Sweet Home sunshine.



Twint Juleps.



Sir! Ma'am! Pearls. Red velvet. Mason jars. Wrap-around porches. Heat. Rocking chairs. Banjos. Faith. Sweet tea. Lemonade. Vintage pick-up trucks. Ambrosia. Boots. BBQ. Spanish moss. Wicker. Fireflies. Parasols. Mint Juleps. Fried Chicken.

MONOGRAMS. {They deserve their own paragraph so we can marvel at the very vision of this beautiful word.}

And, the accents. I'd trade in my nasally high-pitched bark for a laid back tiny twang any day! Ya'll agree? Anyhoo, this weekend the Kentucky Derby will rock 'n roll, and I've always loved the first weekend of May because it's a time to embrace this esteemed event...and the ICONIC {Southern} foods and bevvies that come with it! To be more specific - Pimento Cheese and all its glory.

After tracing its roots, I discovered it was invented in NEW YORK!!!!!!!!!! Well, how about that? I'm practically Southern! {Read more about it. Click here.}  With that said, here are a few ways to fuse a little Derby and Southern Livin' together for a what I reckon will be a wonderful weekend.





{Pimento Cheese Spread}

8oz. cream cheese
2c shredded extra sharp cheddar
1/2 c mayo
1/4 t garlic powder
1/4 t onion powder
1/2 t cayenne (optional)
4 oz. diced pimento
1 splash of milk

Mix all together in a mixer on medium.
Serve with your favorite dippers!






{Pimento Cheese Sammies}

Bread
Pimento Dip

Spread some dip on bread and grill!




{Pimento Cheese Poppers}

Crescent rolls
Pimento Dip
Jalepenos
Bacon
Pretzel stick
Plastic wrap


Add some jalepeno to your pimento dip.
Use a cookie scoop and drop onto plastic wrap.
Use the plastic to form the ball.
Place in freezer for 5 minutes.
Take out and roll in bacon.
Pop a pretzel stick into the center for fun.






{Pimento Cheese Pinwheels}

Crescent rolls
Pimento Dip


Roll out 2 crescent roll triangles.
Spread a thin layer of pimento dip all over the top.
Roll it up into a log and place in freezer for 5 minutes.
Take it out and slice into discs.
Cook discs, "swirl side" down, for 10 minutes on 350.




Try these out now, ya hear? Thank ya kindly!














No comments:

Post a Comment